Today The Blue House, a Jewish school dating back over 300 years, is an education centre and a memorial for the history of the Upper Rhine Jews. The association “Les Amis du Judengarten de Mackenheim” and the sponsoring foundation jointly take care of and maintain the oldest cemetery of the Breisach Jews in the forest of Mackenheim/Alsace.
The Jewish Museum Emmendingen is a place of remembrance, commemoration, learning and a current-day meeting point with Jewish life: you find a listed mikveh (ritual immersion bath) in the cellar, built around 1840. A Jewish museum was established together with the Jewish Community Emmendingen in 1997.
The memorial has existed since 25th July 1998. It is situated in the Urenwald on the mountain slope of the Vulkan (a landfill). There were three Nazi concentration camps in the municipality from September 1944 to April 1945. The memorial commemorates the 1700 prisoners from 19 countries who were bonded to forced labour. Many did not survive this time.
The synagogue was consecrated in 1852. On 10th November 1938 the interior was demolished. Today the former synagogue is a memorial, education and meeting centre. The foundation is doing its utmost to do justice to this requirement with presentations and exhibitions. A permanent exhibition on the history of the rural Jewish life in The Ortenau may be visited as from spring 2010.
The Salmen represents two poles of German history. This is where the awakening to liberty in a free and liberal state and the fall into a murderous dictatorship meet, and the culmination in the extermination of the German and European Jews. Therefore the Salmen is of central importance as memorial for the German history.
The synagogue in Sulzburg was, following Karlsruhe and Randegg, the third synagogue to be built by a Jewish community in the former Grand Duchy Baden-Württemberg. It dates back to 22 and is the only synagogue today of the school of architecture Friedrich Weinbrenner of the late baroque classicistic mixture of styles which was not destroyed in Baden–Württemberg. It is deemed a cultural monument of particular significance.